Villaviciosa is an extensive coastal municipality, which limits to the north with the Cantabrian Sea; to the south with Cabranes, Sariego, Siero and Nava; to the east with Colunga and Piloña, and to the west with Gijón.
La land of Maliayo, fertile, with large estuaries and high rasas appropriate for the domain of the territory, was populated at least since the Epipaleolithic, in its Asturian stage, therefore between 6.000 and 9.500 years ago. Strong evidence has been found that the military culture densely populated these lands.
The Romans also took advantage of the wealth of this Asturian area and its easy access to the sea. The Latin writer Plinio was praised in the town.
In 1270, Alfonso X, the wise king, granted the men of the land of Maliayo letter of foundation of puebla or villa.
In 1484 a fire ravages the villa in its entirety. The Catholic Kings grant grants to rebuild it.
At the end of the seventeenth century the Franciscans founded a convent of preachers of popular missions that from then on will have great sociological relevance in the municipality. Jacobean pilgrimages left in their wake a large number of churches and monasteries throughout the municipality, some of them have been classified as World Heritage Sites, such as San Salvador de Valdediós, El Conventín, consecrated in the 893 year.
Later in time, the name of Villaviciosa that gives associated to the manufacture of Asturian sparkling cider, with the company EL Gaitero as the flagship of the activity. Villaviciosa is one of the first producers of apples, milk and meat of the Principality of Asturias in the 20th century, as well as agri-food industries. Its rural heritage is very rich, and has an abundant heritage in hórreos and paneras, as well as dozens of old water mills, fundamental for the economy of the time.
In civil art It is to admire the house of the consistory (1902-1906), various mansions of Indians like Les Baragañes, El Encanto, Hotel Spain, and a set of urban palaces from the XVII-XVIII.
- Our Lady of the Portal, Villaviciosa, the second Saturday in September.
- Apple Festival, in odd-numbered years in Villaviciosa, second weekend in September.
- Great Fair: the Wednesday closest to the festival of San José, in Villaviciosa.
- Our Lady of Carmen, in Tazones, July 18 and 19.
- San Juan, in Amandi on June 24.
- San Salvador, in Fuentes on August 6.
- Our Lady, Logas, September 8.
- San Roque, in Tazones, August 15, 16 and 17.
- La Sacramental, Peón, July 29, 30 and 31.
- Santa Ana, Quintes, July 26.
- San Bartolomé, Quintueles, August 24.
Fairs and markets
- Weekly market on Wednesdays.
- San José Cattle Fair, March 20.
- Cattle Fair in Argüeru, September 1.
- Beef cattle exhibition-contest, from September 14 to 18.
Excursions from Villaviciosa
The route of the mills in Villaviciosa
In Asturias it will be difficult for us to come across a windmill. Due to its geographical configuration,…
Beach of the Ñora
The Ñora is one of the most beautiful and secluded beaches of the Asturian coast, a plant sandpit ...
San Salvador de Valdediós
In the surroundings the patrimony is environmental and unique: forests of oaks, chestnuts and bushes…
Bowls: the town and the sea
Tazones keeps the essence of the Asturian village, but in this case a peculiar village, with granaries, but…
How to get to Villaviciosa
The main communication routes are the Autovía del Cantábrico and the N-632 highway, which cross the council from east to west and run parallel to the coast.
Distance to Oviedo, 42 km. // Gijon, 30 km.
Villaviciosa Tourist Office
C / Vallina Park. tno. 985 89 17 59
Text: © Ramón Molleda for asturias.com