Today more than 40 varieties of cheese in Asturias and that is why we are the biggest cheese stain in Europe. We will discover some of the best known and most popular at https://asturias.com/los-10-mejores-quesos-de-asturias
Typical cheese from Asturias
· Afuegal Pitu: fresh and pasty cheese with two varieties, white and spicy, which gets its name from the peculiarity of sticking to the palate during its tasting. More info Afuegal Pitu Cheese
· Beyos: cheese made from raw cow's milk, usually in Amieva and Ponga. More info Cheese of the Beyos
· Cabrales: cheese made with milk from sheep, cow and goat in the council that bears the same name. More info Cabrales Cheese
· Gamonéu: cheese made in the huts of shepherds of the high ports of Cangas de Onís and Onís. More info Gamonéu cheese
· The pear tree: blue cheese made in the area of Avilés.
· Peñamellera: cheese made with one or three very soft, fresh and creamy milk.
· Pría: smoked cheese made in the council of Llanes.
· Vidiago: cheese made in Vidiago, Llanes, with cow's milk.
Seafood and fish from Asturias
· Andarica: nécora.
· Bugre: lobster.
· Llámpares: limpets Molluscum univalvo that is located adhered to the rocks of the coast and consumed with sauce.
· Pinchu hake: hake caught with a hook and not with a net, so its meat is much finer.
· Ñocla: crab or sea ox.
· Oricios: sea urchins.
· Parrocha: small sardine
· Pixin: monkfish.
· Venues : herring
· Tiñosu: scorpion fish, rock fish with a lot of thorn but very tasty for stews and pâtés.
· Xáragu: sea bream, fish.
Cachopos and meats from Asturias
Cachopo of Asturias
Cachopo is an Asturian preparation, a basic dish of its gastronomy that abounds throughout its…
· Roxa meat: veal meat fed in the pastures of the mountain passes.
· Compangu: meat components of fabadas, potes and boiled.
· Emberzáu: blood sausage with onion, cornmeal, fat and blood of pork, wrapped in leaves of cabbage and cooked that is served fried in slices.
· Pantrucu: in the area of Llanes is called a flour, egg, onion and bacon dough that is cooked with the stew. In Ribadesella, it is a type of fried blood sausage.
· Pitu de Caleya: village chicken raised in the wild and fed on grain and not with feed.
· Sabadiego: is a kind of sausage made with pork and other ingredients.
· Xuan: sometimes in diminutive, xuanicu, a black pudding that is mixed with pieces of pumpkin.
Typical desserts of Asturias
· Milk pudding: although it is taken in much of Spain, it is very popular in Asturias, where it is prepared more creamy thanks to a prolonged cooking.
· Carbayones: puff pastry stuffed with almond cream and covered in frosting.
· Casadielles: sweet dumplings stuffed with ground walnut and hazelnut and anise.
· Frixuelos: Typical Carnival dessert of the same family as the Castilian flakes, Galician pancakes or French crepes.
· Marañuelas: characteristic sweet cookies.
· Panchón: kernel of spelled bread with butter and sugar that is fried and crumbled before serving, typical of Aller.
Rice pudding recipe
It is one of the best-known desserts in Asturian gastronomy and we are going to explain how to make it to...
Fabada, pot and other typical foods of Asturias
· Prenatal buns: small cooked breads with a chorizo inside.
· Boronchu or emberzáu: type of blood sausage
· Borona: corn bread stuffed with chorizo, bacon and rib.
· Fabes: white beans, the variety called de la Granja, exclusive to the region and main ingredient of the fabada.
· Pot: traditional stew based on cabbage, potatoes and beans with compango.
· Tortos: small golden corn cakes in a pan. They are usually eaten with eggs and chorizo or with cheese.
· Verdinas: small greenish beans very soft, so they usually prepare with seafood, typical of Llanes.
Text: © Ramón Molleda for asturias.com