Traditional cachopo recipe
Ingredients 4 people:
- 2 large beef fillets
- Serrano ham
- Sliced cheese
- Bread crumbs
- 6 eggs
- Virgin Olive Oil
We also need three buckets, one with the beaten eggs, another with the flour and another with the breadcrumbs.
Recipe Step by Step:
- 1 · We beat the 6 eggs. We throw them in a large rectangular bucket-the size of this will depend on the size of the fillets.
- 2 · In one dish, we spread out one of the fillets by hand.
- 3 · Place the slices of cheese on top, which cover all the fillet well, the more generous we are, the richer it will be.
- 4 · Place the Serrano ham, which also covers all the cheese.
- 5 · Put the second filet of beef on top.
- 6 · In a bucket we have the flour, put our cachopo and flour well.
- 7 · Then we put our cachopo in the bowl of beaten eggs.
- 8 · We passed the cachopo to the breadcrumbs and we plowed.
- 9 In a large frying pan, heat the oil, when it is very hot we put the cap. We brown well.
*** In our video you will see everything step by step.
Tips for making a good cachopo
Veal · We want it to be pure butter, we will choose good meat.
Ham · There are also hams and hams: Iberian, top dressing, normalinos and York ham (nothing appropriate in principle), the better the ham ...
Cheese · There are cheeses with denomination of origin that taste like blessed glory and simple sliced cheeses or tranchetes. Cheese is one of the strong points, for that reason it has to be well distributed and melt by the edges at the beginning, when it is hotter.
The batter · It is not a vain affair. It may happen that it falls apart and is not stuck to the meat. This is not what we are looking for. It should be attached to the fillet at all times, and its texture should be crispy, well roasted but not too much, with a non-oily presence but without going dry. There is bread crumbs from home that is reached with care, there is even a special Japanese bread (panko) that does not absorb too much fat.
Frying · We fry it well but without burning it, in clean oil (this is very important) and very hot so that the cachopo is made fast on both sides without soaking. Thus, the cheese does not have time to melt excessively or leave the sandwich prematurely.
The potatoes · They are another basic ingredient of the Asturian cachopo. These should not be, under any circumstances, frozen potatoes. On the contrary, they must be of the earth, of homemade cut, fat, well fried, in their point of salt, tasty, without they remain oily or stiff.
That there are few potatoes is a blunder, according to the experts. The quantity must be proportional to the size of the cachopo and the number of diners. If the dimensions of the dish do not fit the necessary potatoes, they can always be buried under the meat or taken out in a separate source.
Peppers · The classic Asturian cachopo also appreciates the peppers. The pepper is the icing on the cake. This, preferably, has to be freshly made and hot.
Book «Of cachopos and other Asturian dishes»
If you want to know first-hand Asturian recipes, simple but very rich, we recommend you buy the book «Of cachopos and other Asturian dishes», written by Juanjo Cima; Y the book «Recipes to love Asturias» scored by Jose Antonio Fidalgo.
Text: © Ramón Molleda for asturias.com